Apply to join the first online Caribbean accelerator! In addition to online demo day, we connect startups who complete our online accelerator to their local incubator/ accelerator/ resource network.
We’re bringing the learnings of top startup development tactics right to you. Leverage hours of jam packed strategies, advice, and resources. Only 100 startups will be selected from the Caribbean!
Summer 2016 Batch Date: July 11-13, 2016
3 Day Accelerator Agenda
- Monday: 7pm-9pm EST
- 7-7:15 Leveraging the Caribbean startup ecosystem and positioning yourself as a Caribbean entrepreneur
- 7:15-8:00 Product development 101-Ideation, Beta Testing, Customer Acquisition
- 8-8:30 Customer development 101- How to get 10,000 users in 6 months
- 8:30-9:00 Email Marketing w/ Partner-Send Grid
- 9:00-9:30 Q/A
- Tuesday: 7pm-9pm EST
- 7-7:15 Recap
- 7:15-8:00 Fundraising 101- How to raise capital via crowdfunding, crowd equity, angel & VC investment and unconventional methods
- 8-8:30 Marketing 101- pitching, social media campaigns, press, and PR, event management
- 8:30-9:00 Guest Workshop- Psychology of Entrepreneurship by Einstien Ntim
- 9:00-9:30 Q/A
- Wednesday: 6pm-9pm EST
- 6:00-7:00pm Open online office hours- Q/A
- 7:00-7:30 How to avoid the top 99 mistakes of entrepreneurs.
- 7:30-9pm Online Demo day-Pitch to our investment/partner network (details TBA). We will host a virtual pitch off event for selected startups to connect with top investors, partners, and mentors.
Applications due: July 5th. After selecting 100 companies, applications will be listed for the fall 2016 batch.
Eligibility- For small business owners, startup entrepreneurs, and freelancers who reside in the Caribbean or connected to the Caribbean diaspora.
Demo Day Prizes
Top 3 teams will receive $5k in prizes. See details below:
- VIP tickets to ATECH– the biggest tech conference in the Caribbean. The winning team will receive (2 tickets, value of $695 each) VIP guest services (e.g., VIP service at the airport, free transportation to and from the airport and conference venues), including access to one-on-one investor feedback sessions.
- $1,560 worth of credits with SendGrid ($129.95 / month for 12 months)
- Consultant review package with SeedIM Investments (2 hours) valued at $350-Review your business model; Review Marketing Strategy; Provide recommendation
Kareem is a board member and Chief Marketing Officer of SeedIM. Kareem is responsible for overseeing the planning, development and execution of an organization’s marketing and strategic initiatives. In addition, Kareem is also responsible for establishing a positive customer experience. Kareem started his career on Wall Street, working at Lehman Brothers/Barclays Capital Investment Bank. During his time at Lehman, he worked in the regulatory division and Sales and Trading. He played a significant role helping the firm rebound after the 2008 financial crisis. After a successful career in financial services, Kareem received his MBA at Michigan – Ross. During his time at Ross, he worked on various projects and organizations that helped to strengthen the community. Due to his leadership, he was profiled in Poets and Quants as one of the 2015 MBAs to Watch. Kareem is now a marketer, working on product innovation at Kraft Heinz.
Demo Day Judges
Sandra Glasgow is the Founder and Managing Director of BizTactics Limited, a consulting company dedicated to mentoring growth-aspiring firms and promoting best-in-class corporate governance in the Caribbean. She is a Founding Member of Jamaica’s first Angel Investor Network, FirstAngelsJA and a Mentor to business enablers on the Accelerate Caribbean project.A graduate of the University of the West Indies, she holds a Bachelor of Science Degree and a Masters Degree in Business Administration, with a specialisation in the Management of Technology. Mrs. Glasgow was Jamaica’s Eisenhower Fellow in 2000. She currently serves on the Boards of Directors of the National Commercial Bank Jamaica Limited, Jamaica’s largest bank; a young technology company, eMedia Interactive Limited, two companies listed on the Jamaica Stock Exchange: Caribbean Producers Jamaica Limited and Medical Disposables & Supplies Limited, two not-for-profit organisations: Youth Upliftment Through Employment (YUTE), Dress for Success Jamaica and Hillel Academy. She is also a Trustee of three Pension Funds and Mentor to several SMEs.
Varelie is a startup ecosystem builder and founder of The Liv Group, a venture studio with hubs in New York and Aruba, Dutch-Caribbean.In 2015, an island native, Varelie co-founded her first non-profit initiative ATECH, with a mission to develop the startup and technology ecosystem in Aruba and the Caribbean region. The platform has leap-frogged on to the global stage by applying ingenuity and grassroots techniques to the policy creation process.She was named a global change-maker by the World Bank Youth Steering Committee for her unique approach to leadership and inspiring both entrepreneurs and policy makers to drive change. Varelie is an accomplished keynote speaker and sought after thought-leader on startup ecosystems and the innovation economy. She has spoken at TEDx, TEDxWomen, United Nations, The World Bank and has been featured in Forbes, MasterCard Biz, Tech.Co and other major international publications. Prior to founding The Liv Group and ATECH, Varelie has had a distinguished career as a tax lawyer and Director of International Tax Financial Services at PricewaterhouseCoopers New York.
Robby Bitting- Director of Marketing, MassChallenge BostonRobby loves startups and storytelling – MassChallenge is filled to the brim with both. As Director of Marketing, Robby is responsible for attracting top entrepreneurs to apply to the startup accelerator programs. In 2016, over 3000 startups applied from 78 countries. He also leads MassChallenge Boston communications strategy and tactics. Prior to MassChallenge Robby worked in PR at Ruder Finn in New York.
Vanessa Alexandra Pestritto is Partner at Lattice Ventures, First Stop for Seed Capital. She invests in companies innovating in outdated industries with technologies that are defensible via network effects. She was the former Executive Director of New York Angels. She sourced and managed deal flow and the investor network. After NYU Stern, she worked in technology management consulting on product development as a business lead. She has experience restructuring operations, marketing and sales for small businesses and is an active coach, mentor and advisor to investors, entrepreneurs, and operators.